Introduction from Cllr Paul Hodgkinson - Group Leader of the Gloucestershire Liberal Democrats
Gloucestershire is a wonderful place to live and work, and I’m delighted to have made it my home nearly 35 years ago.
Its incredible communities, natural landscapes and bustling local economies mean it consistently punches above its weight. Despite this, 16 years of uninterrupted Conservative rule at the County Council has consistently held us back.
The Conservative record includes:
- Our streets in a mess and a backlog of road repairs still amounting to over £80 million;
- Gloucestershire’s most vulnerable children being left at risk and the County Council being placed in Special Measures by Government inspectors;
- A record of failure in walking and cycling, leading to the loss of over £9 million worth of Government investment in green infrastructure;
- Hundreds of millions of pounds being burnt on a waste incinerator built in the county, burning waste from neighbouring counties in your backyard;
- Failing to protect our loved ones in the county’s care homes, with the tragic loss of more than 400 care home residents, and with total deaths well in excess of 1,000 across the county.
Gloucestershire deserves so much better than this.
In opposition, Liberal Democrat councillors have worked tirelessly to oppose those policies that are damaging, and to bring in measures that will make a difference to people’s lives. Just recently, we managed to secure more than £800,000 to keep our residents safe, £530,000 to help communities recover from Covid-19 measures and £200,000 to help our county’s children achieve their potential.
All this we achieved in opposition. If you elect us to take control of the council’s finances we could do so much more.
Our experienced team would prioritise:
- Fixing the pothole riddled roads and investing in green transport;
- Getting Gloucestershire’s economy back onto its feet after the Covid-19 pandemic;
- Taking a lead in tackling the climate emergency, and striving to make Gloucestershire carbon neutral by 2040;
- Protecting the health of our residents and supporting our carers;
- Fixing children’s services, protecting the vulnerable ones in our care and
- Putting communities back at the heart of decision making.
Gloucestershire deserves so much better than the record of failure over the last 16 years. A transfer of just six seats will enable us to take back control and build back better.
SCROLL DOWN TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THESE PRIORITIES AND HOW WE INTEND TO DELIVER THEM IN OUR MANIFESTO OR CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A COPY.
Councillor Paul Hodgkinson
Leader of the Liberal Democrats on Gloucestershire County Council